2019 Dorothy O. Finley Outstanding Teen Citizen Awards Nomination
The Metropolitan Education Commission’s Youth Advisory Council/Tucson Teen Congress (YAC/TTC) and the City of Tucson Parks and Recreation are pleased to announce the 24th Annual Dorothy O. Finley Outstanding Teen Citizen Awards. This is your opportunity to nominate deserving youth who have contributed to or made a difference in our community, as well as improving their own life.
Established in 1994, the “Outstanding Teen Citizen Awards” are designed to recognize 10 youth who have met the criteria in one or more of the following categories:
- Between the ages of 13 and 19
- Has overcome significant hardships
- Dedicated time to community service
- Demonstrated positive leadership
- Seen as a “Comeback Teen” (an individual who has rebounded from challenges, becoming more successful academically, socially, and/or personally)
As in the past, ten youth will be selected by their peers and acknowledged as winners of the Dorothy Finley Outstanding Teen Citizen Award. In addition, one of the ten winners will be the recipient of the Metropolitan Education Commission’s prestigious Crystal Apple Youth Award. The ten youth will be recognized and honored by the community at the 29th Annual Crystal Apple Awards Luncheon, to be held at the Desert Diamond Hotel & Casino on Friday, April 26, 2019.
If you have one or more youth that you would like to nominate, please complete the enclosed nomination form and write a 500-word essay for each youth nominee. The nomination form can be downloaded, completed, and returned with the essay via email to
All nominations are due by FRIDAY, FEBRUARY 15, 2019.
If you have questions, please contact Ed Nossem at the Metropolitan Education Commission, 670-0055.
Feel free to share this information to encourage other organizations to nominate deserving youth from our community. We look forward to hearing from you and being inspired by the stories you will share of outstanding youth citizens!
Youth Advisory Council / Tucson Teen Congress
Outstanding Teen Citizen Awards Committee
2019 Dorothy O. Finley Outstanding Teen Citizen Awards Nomination Form
1. Write a nomination essay of 500 words or less for the student nominee. The essay must be typed, double-spaced, using a Word document format i.e., Microsoft Word.
2. Complete the nomination form below and upload essay to the form.
3. Repeat these steps for each additional student nominee if any.
NOMINATION FORM AND ESSAY MUST BE RECEIVED BY
5:00 P.M. ON FRIDAY, FEBRUARY 15, 2019.