Regional College Access Center

Table of Contents

Frequently Asked Questions

This is where you'll fiind answers to the questions most commonly asked by students and parents. If you don't find an answer to your question, please contact our office at (520) 670-0055 or Thank you.

Preparing for college

Q: How soon should I start preparing for college?
A: It’s never too early and it’s never too late. Many schools, elementary through high school, have college and career preparation activities built into their curriculum and in after school programs. We highly recommend that students and parents begin to learn about college preparation and planning as early as elementary school. We also encourage adult learners to attend college for training or a degree program that will help them advance in their jobs.

Q: As a parent, what can I do to help my child prepare for college and a career?
A: At the very basic level, parents can help children develop a strong academic foundation while they are in school at each grade level. A good education in the core subjects such as English, math, science, foreign language, social science, and fine arts is essential. Maintaining grades above a “C” is important for preparation, admission and successful transition to a college or university.

Q: Are the K-12 schools promoting college and career preparation?
A: Yes, starting at the elementary school level all the way through high school, teachers and counselors provide lessons and activities that help students explore, experience and prepare for the future. It is recommended that parents contact their child’s school counseling office to ask about college and career activities available at the school.

Q: How can I find information about the college and career activities available at my school?
A: Under the “Access to Local Activities” section of this website, you will find information on various activities and programs for students, parents, and adult learners offered by the following organizations in Pima County:

If you do not find a school or organization that means we are waiting to receive their information. You can call also the school and talk to a counselor to get an idea of the activities available related to college and career preparation.

Q: How do I find out about college and career events offered in Tucson and Pima County?
A: In this website, you will find a community calendar which lists events taking place. In addition, there is an upcoming events section that highlights current activities.

Q: Are the high school graduation requirements all I need to get into a college or university?
A: Most of the time, the high school graduation requirements are different from the admission requirements to a college or university. It is important for you to know the admission requirements of the college or university you are interested in, so that you can take the appropriate classes in high school that will satisfy your graduation and college admission. It is important that you talk with your school counselor about this and set up a four-year plan.

Q: What are the admission requirements to get into a college or university?
A: Each college and university has specific admission requirements. We recommend that you check the website or call the admissions office of the college or university you are interested in attending.

Paying for college

Q: How can I pay for college?
A: Students pay for college through a variety of funding sources creating a financial aid package which could include a combination of the following:

Q: Where do I find information on all of these funding sources?
A: Students can use the Regional College Access Center website as a starting place for finding information on the various types of financial aid. In addition, they can contact the college or university they plan to attend. School counseling offices also provide information and applications for financial aid and scholarships.

Q: How do I get the FAFSA application?
A: You can access and complete the application on-line by going You can also find this application in the high school counseling offices, the college and university advising centers and financial aid office.

Q: Where can I get information on scholarships?
A: Through this website, you will find information on national and local scholarships by going to the planning section and going to the College Toolkit link. You can also go directly to the college and university websites and find information on the specific scholarships they offer.

Graduating from college

Q: What is available to help me be successful in college?
A: Every college and university has various types of support programs to help students succeed beginning their first year through the time they graduate. Examples of programs include freshman transition, transfer student resources, tutoring, academic and skill building workshops, mentoring, and social networking groups. It is important for students of all ages to inquire about support programs so they become familiar with the resources available and take advantage of them.

Career planning

Q: How do I get information about careers?
A: Through this website, under the planning section, you will find a link called Career Exploration. In this section, you can find on-line resources that will give you information on various careers, allow you to take an interest inventory, and provide planning tools that will help guide you in the search for a career. In addition, you can go to the local community college and/or various community programs to get help with searching for careers.